Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Fresh And Delicious:Tomato Mousse With Basil Sauce




As summer is approaching everybody is looking  for fresh, more vegetable based dishes.
This Mousse is a  recipe  generously shared with me by my friend Isabelle, and is one of my favorites for summer parties.
You can prepare it 1 day in advance, so it's ideal for a relaxed party organization.
It's easy but a bit messy  (at least when I prepare it, maybe you my friends, are more organized :) ) but it's worth it because it literally melts in your mouth  and I bet your guests will love it.

This is what you need:


For the tomato mousse:
250 g ripe, red tomatoes
4 leaves of gelatin
1/2 cup of heavy cream
4 spoonful of tomato ketchup
Salt and pepper
For the Basil sauce:
1 1/2 cup of fresh Basil leaves
1 cup of fresh  flat parsley leaves
3/4 cup of green onion (only the green parts)
2 teaspoon of fresh pressed lemon juice
1 cup of light cream
1/2 cup od sour cream
1/2 teaspoon of sugar
Salt and pepper
Put all  ingredients in the blender and puree them until obtaining a creamy sauce.

Method:
-Clean tomatoes and put them for about 1 minute in boiling water, this will help to peel them easily.

After peeling halve them and remove the seeds,


than quarter them and take out the remaining seeds.

Uff, a lot of seeds have been removed! :)

-Put the tomatoes in a blender and puree them.
-Strain the mixture through a colander. Set aside.

-Soak the gelatin leaves in cold water until soft.


-Warm 1/2 cup of the tomato puree, remove gelatin leaves from water and squeeze out well.
Dissolve them in the warm tomato puree and strain the mixture through a colander  ( to avoid gelatin crumbs)then stir the gelatin tomato mixture well into the tomato puree.

Add ketchup, stir well. Set aside.
Beat heavy cream to soft peaks and add delicately to the tomato mixture.

Add salt and pepper.
Grease 2 3/8 "id (for about 2.75 fluid ounces) ramekin molds with olive oil and fill them with the tomato mixture. If you don't have ramekin molds at hand, see presentation proposal at the second picture below.
-Refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
-Remove from molds and garnish with Basil sauce.

Or serve the mousse  in a Martini glass and top with the Basil sauce

Basil sauce:
1 1/2 cups of fresh Basil leaves
1 cup of fresh flat parsley leaves
3/4 cup of green onion (only the green parts)
1 cup of light cream
1/2 cup of sour cream
2 teaspoon of fresh pressed lemon juice
1 teaspoon of sugar
Salt and pepper
Put all  ingredients in the blender and puree them until obtaining a creamy sauce.
Serves 4,  Enjoy!

Share this article

42 comments:

  1. I've never made tomato mousse before... it looks gourmet and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam,
      Happy to hear you liked the recipe:)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Hi Daniela, very interesting recipe. I love chocolate mousse but never try tomato mousse. Yours look really elegant and beautiful. The basil sauce look really good.

    Have a lovely week ahead, regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia,
      I'm happy to hear that you liked the recipe!
      It's true, Chocolate Mousse is the most well known , but it's cousin, the tomato mousse is delicious too:)
      Have a great week ahead,
      Cheers

      Delete
  3. This is new to me and it looks ah-mazing and so fancy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne,
      Thank you for your kind feedback !
      It tastes really great and is not too complicated to prepare.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Impressed that your mold looks so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yummy ,
      It's great to have you back.
      I'm glad to hear you liked the post :)

      Delete
  5. Wow, this looks incredible! I've never heard of tomato mousse but am deeply intrigued and would love to taste it. Thanks for sharing Daniela.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hi Nancy,
      I'm happy that I could present a recipe that is knew to you!
      It's very refreshing and I hope you will like it.

      Delete
  6. oh my gosh, what a gorgeous and sophisticated dish! I can only imagine how delicious this will be with my summer tomatoes this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thank you so much for your kind comment,Kristy.
      For sure it will turn out delicious with your summer tomatoes :)

      Delete
  7. Really nice looking dish! And not one I've made before - I really need to put these on that big list of stuff I need to try! Great tips on seeding tomatoes, too. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John,
      I'm glad to hear that you liked the recipe and I'm sure you would enjoy it, especially during summer time :)
      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  8. I've never tried making a tomato mousse either but am sure my husband would be thrilled! I also have tomato aspic on my culinary bucket list but haven't gotten around to it either! So many wonderful dishes, so little time! Beautiful dish - I bet it was tasty and at least you had plenty of time to wash up the pots and pans before serving. I love make-ahead recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tricia,
      You are so right,so many interesting dishes and so little time.
      But on the other hand - it's quite relaxing to concentrate a while on cooking after a stressful day :)
      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. wow I want this and NOW. A pure enjoyment..can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie, I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the post!
      You will see, it's wonderful fresh for a warm summer evening :)

      Delete
  10. So elegant your tomato mousse, and yes, perfect with the basil sauce...this is perfect for the warm weather...
    Thanks for the recipe Daniela...hope you are having a lovely week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Juliana for your kind words!
      It's actually quite a hit among family and friends and great for summer parties as well.
      Have a great weekend ahead :)

      Delete
  11. What a pretty looking mousse. I can imagine this being just perfect on a warm summer's night xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlie,
      I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the mousse recipe.
      It's always a hit at summer parties
      and it looks quite sophisticated but is
      actually easy to prepare:)

      Delete
  12. Wow this looks so elegant and melt in your mouth as you said. Great recipe. And also glad to discover your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Evelyne,
      I'm happy to hear you liked the tomato mousse recipe. Hope you will enjoy it in summer.
      Thanks for visiting, see you soon at your blog.

      Delete
  13. So wonderful! I'd never expect it to be tomato. I just love the presentation and the flavors are surely fresh and light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate,
      I'm so glad you liked the presentation , it's quite easy to do and there are 2 options.
      Have a great day!

      Delete
  14. Such a creative dish! It is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jenn!
      Have a great weekend ahead.

      Delete
  15. It looks delicious. I have never tried tomato mousse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you will try it, It's so light and fresh for summer.
      Thanks for stopping by !

      Delete
  16. What an elegant way to enjoy fresh tomatoes and basil from the garden. I'm saving this as an idea for when we host our gourmet group this summer! Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan,
      I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed the post and I really feel flattered that you are thinking about this recipe for your gourmet group!
      Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend :)

      Delete
  17. Hola Daniela me has dejado sin palabras esto es un plato de gourmet de alto etanding nunca se me habria ocurrido a mi hacer esto con el tomate gracias por compartirla y me queda pendiente de hacer, un beso

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola Conchi,
      muchas gracias, me encanta que te ha gustado la receta !
      Lo bueno es que no es nada complicado de preparar y los ingredientes son sencillos y veraniegos :)
      Gracias por tu visita, un beso

      Delete
  18. Daniela, At first I thought it was something "salmony", but it turned out to be a gorgeous and basically simple tomato mousse. Well presented directions, and I'll bet it tastes as yummy as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathleen, I'm happy to hear that you liked the recipe :)
      You are right,the color looks a bit like Salmon at first sight.
      But the ingredients are much more simple, just fresh veggies and a bit of cream.
      Have a great week ahead.

      Delete
  19. Refreshing, summery, refined and delicious! A wonderful idea.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Rosa,
    thank you so much for your kind words, I truly appreciate them!

    ReplyDelete
  21. what a refreshing treat...thanks for sharing
    view our blog
    http://indiaandworldcuisine.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to hear you liked the post, thank you for stopping by!
      Of course It will be my pleasure to visit your blog

      Delete

 
Copyright © 2014 The Ambassador's Table • All Rights Reserved.
back to top